Monday 26 July 2010

Construction of Institutional Logos

I created the institutional logos using Photoshop and I made them to the dimensions of 720 pixels X 576 pixels at 72DPI . I did this because it was a compatible size with the trailer I was making, so that hopefully it wouldn't pixelate, or be too big to insert. Below are screen shots showing the production of the end credits for my trailer. I found it quite hard to pad this out because in a real trailer there would be more names to list for each job role, but I thought it would look silly if I repeated my own name too many times. I created this frame after beginning the production on my trailer, so that I could pick a font that would be in-keeping with it, to create the idea of continuation. I eventually decided to use the font of Arial, because it is simple, bold and effective. I did worry that it might look a bit dull, but then I want my trailer to be simple and show the frustrations of being young, so I thought something like that would work; not to be dull, but to be bold.
This was the first layout that I had for the frame, but the lack of text in the frame made it seem too sparse, and it was a bit of an unconventional layout for a credit frame, so I moved the title of the film from the top to centre (as shown below), and I used the guides to line it up in the centre.


Below is the finished frame.
At first, I found this process quite hard because I hadn't used the software for a while and I really liked the flatplan designs I made of the logos, and I didn't think they would look anywhere near as good when the "handmade" element/effect was taken away. This thought especially applied to the "Daylight Shadows" logo. Below is a shot of my first attempt of the logo. I found it really hard to get the text how I wanted it to look and it looked too altered and fake. So, in an effort to overcome this problem, I went back to the scanned in image I had when designing the logos to see if I could create a logo from this image.


This was the outcome for the second attempt. I much preferred the simpler colour scheme and the lack of fancy effects that I think improved upon my first try. However, it still felt abit static and dull. So, I tried moving the logo about I found the result was more aesthetically pleasing.

This was the final version that I am happy with. I achieved the angle that the text is on using the "skew" tool in photoshop (pictured below) and I added the effect of a drop shadow (shown below) to make the image look a bit more 3-D and not completely static. I know that the logo isn't very exciting or full of effects, but I like the simplicity about it, because most independent film logos are just flat image with text, so I think mine would fit in if it were to be made into a real logo.(Drop shadow effect)



(Skew tool)




This was the final and only version of the "Kaleidoscope Pictures logo I created. I like it because I think it's simple, but effective. I searched Google Images for an image of an image made by a kaleidoscope and inserted it behing the text in Photoshop. I then erased the area around the letter, leaving the image only inside the two o's.

No comments: