Wednesday 4 August 2010

Storyboarding

When it came to the process of storyboarding, I decided that the trailer would have more impact if it was all in grey scale, apart from the institutional logos. I thought this would have more impact and make it look more gritty. I found the timing of shots and some of the content quite hard to decide on. I don't doubt that it will change slightly when I actually come to make it, but I'm quite pleased with my storyboards. I think the cinematography element of it portrays the mundanity and frustration of reality and loneliness of adolescence quite well, but I think the message will become clearer when I decide on and write out the monologues, which I hope will act as text explaining the narrative does for other trailers.

I'm really happy with the first scene in the film and I like the possible symbolism with the eyes opening and closing throughout the film, which could suggest new beginnings, realisation or acceptance. After doing the first scene in the carpark however, I didn't really know where to go with the trailer, because I didn't want it to move too slowly as it might end up as a film opening rather than a trailer. To overcome this, I made a list of locations and scenes that could portray the message and character that I wanted to, which helped me to storyboard it out. I also found it quite hard to cut it down, because at the moment it looks as though it will last just over 2 minutes, which might be a bit long, but I wanted enough time for the soundtrack/music to get going and give the footage some direction or mood.










I decided to display the title by flashing each consecutive letter inbetween fast and varied shots. I thought this would not only create a crescendo or "peak" effect, but I thought it could also be reminiscent of 60's/retro films, especially when mixed with a retro soundtrack. I wanted this section to be big and bold, with the letters spanning the whole shot in black and white, which could contrast with the slightly softer ending. The ending contains more long shots aswell, which is different to the close ups and extreme close ups in the section. I tried to use these to portray the frustration and changing emotions which are typical to a coming of age film, whilst also being more "brutal" and physically portraying difficulties in extreme close ups, so that the audience has to face them too, and this is something that I don't think you see in a lot of films in this genre.



No comments: